[pct-l] Yellow jackets and EpiPens on the PCT

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sun Sep 16 13:15:03 CDT 2012

Two years in a row I have been bitten by deer flies in the southern
Sierra.  They bite between the knuckles on the back of my hand and my
hand swells up like a balloon and itches tremendously.  I get a red
scaly rash that looks like cellulitis.  I used a gel ointment on it that
contains benadryl and avoided itching and the swelling went down in 24
hours.  It reminded me to keep using the deet on my hands.  Since I wear
long pants/long sleeves, my hands and face are the only thing exposed,
but I gotta use the deet.  I get extreme histamine reactions to
mosquitoes, deer flies, bed bugs, etc.  The swelling, welts and itching
are excruciating.  Whereas my husband gets as many bites as I do and has
no reaction whatsoever to them.  I carry benadryl gel and benadryl pills
in case of hives.  ( the rash, not the bee's dwelling).
As a little kid I was on a camping weekend in SoCal and stepped on a bee
nest in the ground.  The bees swarmed and stung my legs many times.  My
legs swelled so bad I couldn't walk.  I had to be taken home for bedrest.
I've never had a respiratory reaction to bee stings, lucky for me.