[pct-l] water treatment

Mary Coucoules coucoules at comcast.net
Sun Sep 16 18:03:18 CDT 2012

I will definitely be treating my water on the PCT so I  am considering my
water treating options for next summer. Currently looking at Steripen vs.
Sawyer system with aqua mira as backup. Do you feel this is a reasonable
option?

I'm looking for input on the steripens. Which model did you use, what
batteries did you use for it and were you able to find batteries along the
way for your model.  I noticed the steripens use either AA lithium or CR123
(depending on model) batteries. Are those batteries available on the trail.
Seems most stores might only  have alkaline batteries which is not recommend
for these models. For those that used a steripen, would you recommend using
it on the Pct.

What feedback do you have on the Sawyer system. I know they have blow outs
some times but no batteries needed seems attractive.

Thanks,

Mary