[pct-l] Mendo Rider's request to the USFS for action in response to list posts

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 18:33:23 CDT 2012

Hey Timothy,

You are over reacting! You are presuming that my contact with someone at the Angeles National Forest Office was to "demand" that they enforce the existing ban on campfires. I made no demand. Yes, the emails that I forwarded, especially the one from Gary, were to confirm my own observations. Twice, my life has been impacted by tragic fires. I am very concerned (maybe I am paranoid) about wildfires and how they might be started - especially in the Angeles National Forest - since I live in the hills above Agua Dulce, and not far from the PCT and the Angeles National Forest. The winds come from that direction. Campfires, outside designated campgrounds, are banned for very good reasons. The PCT hikers that Gary mentioned were not even aware that having a campfire was against the law. He noted that there was dry chaparral close to the fire ring.  One of the two groups that Gary mentioned willingly put out their illegal fire while the other would not
 (read Gary's post). The USFS person that I talked to told me that enforcement is virtually impossible, since they are under budgeted and therefore understaffed. I did suggest (I didn't demand) that conspicuous signs be put up at trail heads so all hikers will be informed of the fire danger and that camp fires are illegal. That might help. You are right, Timothy, that I am not tolerant of those who are willing to break the law and put the forest and people's homes at risk from wildfires. By the way, I ride just one horse on the PCT. I carry a knapsack while riding (It weighs up to 19 pounds when loaded. It becomes part of rider weight and is easier for the horse to carry than the dead weight of saddle bags and pommel bags) - and I often hike, leading my horse. I am very weight-conscious, and bulk-conscious. I have done a lot of backpacking and climbing in my past. Going by horse, as I do now, I carry the same things that the average PCT hiker
 would carry - plus what I need to care for my horse. An advantage of riding compared to hiking, and one that I never thought about prior to becoming a rider, is that I have a greater opportunity to enjoy the scenery. I don't have to watch where I place my feet. My horse is watching where he places his. I can turn my head 180 degrees and see more of the grand scenery on the PCT.

Respectfully,
MendoRider