[pct-l] Health Insurance while Hiking the PCT

CJ & Cristy Miller soggy2pair at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 10:10:09 CDT 2012

I'll start the post by saying up front, I work for Blue Cross / Blue Shield Insurance (technology, not sales), and have a company group policy for me and the family.

For regular, shorter trips around around Oregon & Washington I don't often add much else to what I have, unless I've got quite a few back-2-back type trips.
When I'm out for a couple weeks or more I start supplementing based primarily on the location I'm hiking;  how remote, how difficult, time of year (weather/snow/etc).  So, that part is obviously quite subjective, gambling against my own experience on the trail and in the area.

The quick path, that I used was shopping through   insuremytrip.com.  They have different packages you can put together to include medical, evac, additional life....etc.  I used that when I did a rather extensive trip, a few weeks up in Alaska followed by a 2 week trip in Arizona.  It was rather spendy, almost $800 for the single trip duration.

Since then I've not done anything that extensive and now go the following route:
If I think the risk is fairly high, and the duration is rather long I'll buy an "individual" medical plan, which gives me the option of cancelling month to month.  That usually runs anywhere from $275 - $450, depending on what level of benefits, and what deductible you want to buy into.
I'll also have available a listing of other direct-fee-for-service doctors in the area I'm hiking - in Oregon we have SprigHealth.com (no insurance required - at reduced office visit).  I figure something like that would help if I'm in a town and need a quick check-up on twisted ankles/knees, etc.

Beyond that, and often very important is determining the air-evac options.  Stay away from the Cal-Ore Life Flight operation as their membership really does not cover anything "hiker" related. Although in the Oregon Life Flight Network (while in Oregon) covers the flight evac costs.  You'll have to research more for the California areas for those options.   One of my hiking buddies does subscribe to the Spot monthly program but frankly, I've not looked into that in any detail but heard it is pretty good.

In summary, for my longer trips when I buy into health insurance coverage, a single month "individual" plan get's me the peace of mind, usually (easily?) under $500 per month.  The key on that piece is the network of providers/doctors/clinics.