[pct-l] Presumptuous. Self- righteous. Intolerant

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 18:01:41 CDT 2012

Yes, Timothy, in thinking back about what you wrote, I have conccluded that you are right. Your description of myself and my action is fairly accurate. There are other adjectives that might also apply, including my sometimes even being radical when trying to make right something that I consider wrong.

First, let's consider "presumptuous".  I will sometimes be willing to step forward, as I did relating to illegal campfires on the PCT, rather than remain silent. I wanted  to call attention to what I saw as a very real threat to the trail, the surrounding environment, and people's homes - mine included. When you live in Agua Dulce you become conscious of the possibility of wildfires.  But, are not those who blatantly ignore the campfire ban and take the liberty of (knowing that it is not enforced) having a fire anyway - - - .  Are they not also being "self-righteous"? Are they not "intolerant" of the law - a law that will, hopefully, help protect against human-started wildfires. In my opinion, it's up to US to do what the Forest Service can't do. Gary did the right thing when he confronted two groups of hikers who had illegal campfires. Would you have joined them or simply walked by and said nothing? I recall Jeff Saufley telling me of his
 having confronted mountain bikers illegally riding on the PCT. This spring, while helping BCH Ray Drasher clear some trees on Section D, we came upon four mountain bikers illegally riding on the PCT. I took their pictures and told them to get off the trail immediately. They claimed that they did not know that they were not allowed to ride bikes on the trail.  They did turn back. About 200' from where we confronted them was a road crossing. The PCT that they took was conspicuously marked with a sign, which included a bike with a red slash through it. Since there were four of them, I can't believe that none saw that sign. Wheeled vehicles are not allowed on the PCT or in any Wilderness Areas. My observation is that the continuous track is a groove that can become a rut when there is rain. Water will run down grooves and ruts -very hard on a trail that is already difficult to maintain.

As for being radical, some thought I was radical when, in the mid-1970's, I joined, and became very active, in the Greenpeace Foundation. Some thought it radical when Greenpeace confronted Soviet Whalers, positioning human volunteers in inflatable Zodiac boats between the whalers and the whales. Those old enough to remember know that we got a lot of media attention. Everyone became conscious of the plight of the whales. With public support, we made positive progress with the International Whaling Commission in saving whales from extinction. The good fight continues with ex-Greenpeace Captain Paul Watkins. He is Captain of the Sea Shepherd. I'm sure most have seen Whale Wars on Animal Planet. I had met Paul Watkins aboard our ship, the James Bay, in 1976. Our Greenpeace ship and crew was about to leave San Francisco Harbor to confront Soviet whalers. I was to become a media spokesman for Greenpeace. I helped Governor Jerry Brown (yes, he was
 Governor then too) raise a substantial amount of money to fund his contribution to the cause, "California Celebrates the Whale".  The Governor felt that if you want to save the whales you must first celebrate them. The all-day event was held in Sacramento.

MendoRider