[pct-l] Tim's broken ankle

Blanchard, Sym SWB3 at pge.com
Wed Sep 19 11:56:36 CDT 2012

Hey Gourmet,

So sorry to hear about your broken ankle.  Are you okay now? Can you enlighten us as to what happened?  And what we can do to help prevent this from happening to us?  I bet this will be a great story for you someday.

There has been lots of conversation and concern from fellow hikers on the trail.  Apparently there were more than one Gourmets on the trail this year.  Are you the older or younger Gourmet?  I will be hiking north out of Snoqualmie tomorrow morning so I can spread the word.

I know how disappointed you must feel.  In 2010 near Three Finger Jack, I rolled and broke my ankle and broke my shoulder.  I popped my dislocated shoulder back in (a few times) and hiked about 20 miles to the Pamela Lake trailhead, hitch to Eugene, and Amtrak back to the SF Bay Area for shoulder surgery.  Makes a great story, I think…

I think my "lesson learned" was to remove the hip belt from my pack.  I felt it locked in my spine so that I could not quickly right myself as I was rolling my ankle.  Ray Jardine talks about this situation in his Trail Days book.  This change is actually a good thing for me because my pack base weight is about 7 lbs, so the extra weight on my shoulders has not been a problem.

All the best in your recovery and your return to finish the trail!

Symbiosis