[pct-l] to prevent injury

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 19:30:55 CDT 2012

Tim is a my facebook friend. It may be a thin superficial
relationship.  But I was stimulated. I will write the injury related
factors very briefly, because I think many misconceptions prevails.

These factors are not related to injury. there are several scientific papers.

     insole   --- Withnall, R., et al(2006 ) prospective comparative
study of 1205 recruits of England air force.

     boots / shoes,    pack weight,    age,     fitness,    length of
outdoor experience,    gender , hiking style
         ---Anderson, L.S. Jr, et al. (2009) study of AT and PCT hiker ,
         ---Lobb, B. (2004) study of trampers,
         ---Hamonko, M.T. et al (2011) prospective study of Rocky
outdoor school.

   stretch  ---Herbert, R.D et al(2011) Large meta-analysis of field studies
   warm up, body weight, height ---Pope, R. et al(2000) a randomized
comparative study

This factor was proved to relate to lower-limb injury by Pope, R. et al(2000)
    performance of  20meter shuttle run

No evidence of waist belt causing injury

I have read many injury related papers.  I found only one factor: It
may be an athletic capability ( represented as 20 meter shuttle run ).
So I think the training containing speed run may prevent injury.

I am also an old man ( 62 years old ). I regularly jog 5 to 10 km
several times in a week, and sometimes I do a wind sprint. I think
that training to raise an athletic capability is necessary.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami  村上宣寛 )