[pct-l] slowest hike?

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Thu Sep 20 19:53:42 CDT 2012

I first set foot on the PCT at Seiad Valley in June 1976. With a couple
months free during college, I planned to hike to Canada after being inspired
by Ryback's PCT book.  I met Teddi Boston on my first day (first woman
solosobo), but I only made it as far as Mt Ashland before I hurt my knee. My
55 pound pack was heavy for my 17 miles per day.  For years, I wondered why
I failed, and pondered dozens of whatifs.. Since then, I've fulfilled a
30year career with the USFS, enjoyed being a section hiker, wilderness
explorer, mtn climber, and in my spare time still trying to finish the PCT.
I finished my 1976SVtoMon78 hike in 2011 in just a mere 35 years. I hope to
finish the PCT by 2016 on a 40year plan, but knowing it took Steeleye 45
years, I could easily slow it down a bit just to be known as the slowest PCT
section hiker ever...
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/72979837/original Day1 PCT 1976