[pct-l] How do you train for the PCT

Chris Anderson srhspaded at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 20:25:45 CDT 2012

I'm interested in finding out how people plan their training regiment for hiking the pct.  I've read a lot about training for long distance hiking, but I think it would be nice to hear from a variety of people on their tried and true methods.  I used to be in a lot better of shape 10 years ago when I was playing ice hockey competitively, so when I decided to start training for the pct, I bit off more than I could chew, pushing myself through pain to do 20 mile days until I developed a foot problem that took 2 months to recover from.  Since I have recovered, the last month and a half I have been doing 6 miles tues, thurs with weight and 20-30 miles of backpacking on the weekend and plan on either upping the mileage and keeping my every other day strategy for recovery time, or adding in extra days and upping the miles as I listen to how my body reacts.  I would love to hear how you guys did it, constructive criticism of how I am doing it...just keep it
 positive or constructive.
Sincerely,
Chris
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat!