[pct-l] (Jetboil) Titanium backpacker stoves

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Fri Sep 21 01:50:12 CDT 2012

Mendoridered said:
> My older Jetboil weighs 6.5 ounces including the stabilizer.

Sorry, but if your "older" Jetboil weighs 6.5 oz., then you forgot to weigh 'something'(!)...

Let's put some truthful facts out there, please!
Jetboil's lightest stove is the "Sol Ti", 800ml capacity cup ('pot'), at 8.5 oz. for the 'system', which does NOT
include the weights for the stabilizer or the bottom cover/measuring cup...
See for yourself at <http://www.jetboil.com/products/comparesystems>...
What they don't tell you directly is that their stated weight does not include a fuel canister, either...
Their proprietary canisters gross weights are 6.8 oz. for the 100g (3.53 oz. fuel) canister and 12.9 oz. for the
230g (8.11 oz. fuel) canister...

So, with a full 100g canister, weight for a Sol Ti would be 8.5 oz. plus 6.8 oz. = 15.3 oz. (then add to that the
weight of the stabilizer and the measuring cup/bottom protector, whatever that might be - perhaps bringing
the total Sol Ti 'system' weight to over a pound when starting out with a full 100g fuel canister)...
If you want to get technical and say the fuel is a 'consumable' and the fuel weight shouldn't be counted, then it's
8.5 plus ~3.3 = 11.8 oz. (then add weight of stabilizer & bottom cover)...

Then there's also the garbage/landfill dilemma of what do you do with an empty (or worse, not quite empty)
canister - especially when you're out on the trail or in a trail town - ??

I'll personally stick with alcohol or Esbit when 'open flame' is allowed; in areas where it isn't allowed, I'll eat 'cold'...

End of rant; sorry, but I don't appreciate it when some numbers are given out as 'facts' when they definitely are
not 'right' - it's misleading, or, more harshly, lying only to help 'prove a point'...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)