[pct-l] (no subject)

aslive at charter.net aslive at charter.net
Sun Sep 23 10:20:20 CDT 2012

Amanda

Is it possible that you have misunderstood the intention of the comment?
I have been doing trail magic for the past several years and my
experience at it was a delightful surprise.  Please allow me to explain.

When I first started I did what I could afford for a few days and that
was it.  Hikers would ask me if I accepted donations or just give me
money, a dollar or two as a rule, often more.  I never asked for
payment.  As a result of the generosity of the early hikers, I was able
to afford to resupply and go back out again.

This year I left out a coffle can that said "Your donations will help to
feed other hikers".  I never mention the can unless someone asked.  I do
not expect anyone to "pay" for anything.  Those who can and wish to, may
leave a donation, those who have no money or feel the need to hold on to
their money, don't have to contribute a thing, and are never asked to do
so or made to feel guilty in any way for not doing so.  As you indicate,
trail magic is a gift, a form of giving back and staying connected
either the trail and the trail community.

Only one person did not stop at my site this year and he passed by early
in the morning and had already eaten and was eager to make miles before
it became too hot that day.  Otherwise everyone seemed happy and
pleased.  There was no guilt.  I was able to go back to the store each
day and resupply solely using the donations that had been left in the
can.  I will be out there again next year with the same donation can.

The word donation means an offering to the cause.  It is not a bill, no
one was charged.  People gave what they thought was appropriate based
upon what they could afford.  When asked, I never suggested an amount.
Some people could not afford anything and that was alright.  After all I
am not running a business here.  Others, knowing that not everyone can
afford to donate left extra on behalf of those who could not afford to
donate.

Please do not walk by trail magic just because you have no money.  Trail
magic is a gift.  We spend most of out daily lives in a world where
people grab all they can get before the next person and hold on to it
greedily.  It is easy to understand why you may bring these experiences
with you on to the trail.  My I invite you to conceder that the trail is
a community that takes care of its own to the degree that it can.  You
are not obligated to do a thing except enjoy you hike.  So relax and go
ahead, have a cookie.

Shepherd