[pct-l] slowest hike?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Sep 23 10:22:47 CDT 2012

Good morning, TrailHacker,

Nope, I was at Piper’s Mom’s place in ’10 rather than '11.

After I retired in ’07 I started at the border with the idea to thru-hike,
or at least finish all of California.  That didn’t work.  I had to get off
the trail 20 miles north of Sierra City with a stress fracture in my
foot.  That
left me 400 miles short of finishing the PCT.

In ’08 I tried to start exactly where I got off but there were fire
closures – caused by lightening, not pop-can stoves  – for about 100 miles
around Belden and 100 more between Etna and Seiad so I bused/hitched to
Hwy-36, then hiked to Etna for 200 of my remaining 400 miles

In ’09 I started at the border again, and hiked 750 miles to Horseshoe
Meadow/Lone Pine.  There were no "new" PCT miles for me there.

In ’10 I drove to Piper’s Mom’s place, left the car, and bused/hitched
south to restart where I stopped in ’07.  I then hiked to Hwy-36 and
hitched to pick up my car.  That’s when I met you at Piper’s Mom’s
place.  After
a drive to Etna, I parked the car in town and hiked to the Cal/Or border
where I completed my PCT.  Finally, I back-tracked to Seiad, took the bus
to Etna, picked up the car and drove home.

In ’11 I departed Siskiyou Summit near Callahan’s and hiked about 200 miles
to Shelter Cove at Odell Lake.

In ’12 I hiked back and forth between my house and my shop while remolding
a bathroom.

Believe me, it’s logistically much easier to just hike straight thru
without all the shuttling around.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/