[pct-l] 'Monetary contributions'

rickandurs at juno.com rickandurs at juno.com
Sun Sep 23 16:35:52 CDT 2012

My husband and I were thru hikers way back when, in 1979.  Back then Trail Angels, water caches, iphones, social networking, the internet were unheard of.  We only had the trail guide and notes in the registers from people ahead of us to know what was ahead.  When we came to towns we either stayed in a cheap motel or camped if a campgroud was close by.  We filled our bellies in restaurants.  Once in a while someone would give us a treat such as fruit or a cold drink and a ride if we stuck our thumbs out  I guess these people could be called the pioneer trail angels.  To me, it seems that now a days everyone and their brother wants to be a trail angel. I agree with Scott in that now it seems that trail angels are expected and planned.  I sometimes wonder how many people would actually complete the PCT if there were no water caches or people to feed them along the way.  How about doing the trail without all the treats along the way? Water caches, though, I would say are pretty important.  But, do people really need steaks and alcohol along the way?  It seems that for some hiking the trial is a matter of making it from one party to the next provided my trail angels along he way.  No, you do not need to take a checkbook along the way because you do not need to partake of trail angels at all, if you don't want to.  It is your choice.   It is up to each person to plan their trip and provide for themselves along the way, not to rely on the generosity of othersl  Just my thoughts. UrsulaClass of 1979