[pct-l] (no subject)

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Sep 23 19:30:49 CDT 2012

On Sep 23, 2012, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> From: aslive at charter.net
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] (no subject)

> When I first started I did what I could afford for a few days and that
> was it.  Hikers would ask me if I accepted donations or just give me
> money, a dollar or two as a rule, often more.  I never asked for
> payment.  As a result of the generosity of the early hikers, I was
> able
> to afford to resupply and go back out again.
>
> This year I left out a coffle can that said "Your donations will
> help to
> feed other hikers".  I never mention the can unless someone asked.

When my mother first started doing trail magic, she would be offered
money and she didn't know what to do with the offer. She tried to
ignore all the offerings for the longest time. Then she would be
cleaning around the house and find money hidden under and inside
things all over the house. I don't know if she ever resorted to a
donation jar or anything, but I think at some point, you just have to
do that. Otherwise you are stuck in this awkward situation.

When I was hiking the trail I got a ride with Lloyd Gust. He told us
flat out he doesn't accept donations. The man went out of his way and
did so much. I couldn't accept that so I gave him a donation anyway.
Shoved it in the center console of his car and then fled before he
could give it back. He said all donations that got by him went to the
PCTA anyway. I hoped that was a lie and he really put it in his gas
tank.