[pct-l] Slowest PCT Thru Hike -- sorry

Nathan Dreon ndreon at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 21:20:41 CDT 2012

I didn't mean to offend anyone, denigrate anyone's accomplishments or question their worth as a human being.

I've been reading the trail journals of past and current thru hikers and I find them fascinating.  They have left me wondering if I could do the PCT.  However, all of the journals I found on my own were written by folks who did the trial in less than 6 months.  I am not a great athlete so 25 miles of walking, with a pack, in a day, sounds rather intimidating.  However if I could start early and end late then perhaps I could walk fewer miles each day and be able to finish the trail.  So I am wondering what other slow walkers have done, one can learn a lot from people who have tested the limits, regardless of how it turned out for them.  I thought that the person who did it the slowest might have many helpful things to tell me.  If I know what is possible then I have a better idea of what I might be able to do.  So I asked.  Some responses have been funny, some have been helpful and some inspiring.  I know a bit more about the trail and its challenges and
 how I might overcome them.  Funnybone's journal has been particularly informative, he is a strong athlete and found mid-March to be too early a start for a complete thru hike, that is useful to know.  I look forward to reading about how his late season hiking went.

I also found this site:  www.mountaineducation.org, I probably wouldn't have noticed it had I not asked.  That looks like useful stuff for any thru hiker and especially for someone who might start early or end late.

I'm sorry that I upset you, I was just looking for information.

Nathan

"I don't pay too much attention to the PCT-L postings but sometimes one of you takes my breath away.

I've yet to do a thru-hike. But really who cares how short or long it takes? The length alone can't possibly indicate the worth of the human being accomplishing the deed. And it is an accomplishment in my mind."
--Ann Marie