[pct-l] "monetary contributions"

David Plotnikoff david at emeraldlake.com
Mon Sep 24 03:22:07 CDT 2012

Hello from a long-time list lurker.

Like Yogi, I have been around this place -- and up and down the PCT
-- for a little while now. So I feel entitled to weigh in on this
delicate subject. Like Yogi, I have been on the giving and receiving
end of the situation.

The Saufleys, the Andersons, the Heitmans, et al, were a godsend to
me on the trail. True angels. And I offered them all money because it
was just the right thing to do. If you have to ask yourself if you
should help out, frankly, your head isn't in the right place. Do you
realize it costs the Saufleys north of $50 per tanker to truck in the
water to do your laundry the fabled Saufley Way? Donna doesn't
mention it. But I made sure she had $50 when I walked out of her
place. As for the Andersons and the Heitmans -- is there *any* amount
of money that could properly set them square for what they offered
hikers? Still, I left money for the simple reason that I knew others
would be coming behind me and I needed to "pay it back" so that those
who came later might enjoy the same loving care.

You do it because it's the right thing to do. Period.

On the other side, my wife and I have shuttled hikers everywhere from
Tehachapi to Truckee, informally. We don't run a taxi service, but we
are at the trailhead looking to help whenever we can. This last
season, my daughter and I were on a climbing trip at Donner Summit.
We spotted Houdini across the parking lot at the Truckee Safeway. Did
he need a ride back up to the trailhead? No. He needed a ride to
Sierra City. And so it was done.

We had other things to do that morning (climbs that didn't involve an
80-mile round-trip drive). But my nine-year-old daughter, who has
been seeing stinky, scary PCT hikers in her backseat since she was
three, understood the lesson: "Dad was helped by strangers out in the
desert. We have to help others of the tribe."

When the time came to put him back on the trail, Houdini tried to
press money into my hand. I would burn about $20 in gas, round-trip.
No, I said. Don't take offense, but this is what we owe back to the
trail for all the rides and all the love. He understood. And thus the
*next generation of angel* is sent on his way, knowing that his
payback date will come sometime in the future.

This is the way it should be. No expectations. But a silent agreement
that someone who used to be a stranger took a load off you that day
and made your journey richer. I am better for meeting every one of
these people.

To the Saufleys, the Andersons, the Heitmans and the half-dozen
people from Mexico to Canada who picked up this scuzzy, scary-looking
hitchhiker: Thank you. Thank you for everything. The money I tried to
hand to you was only a mere token of my real gratitude.

DP