[pct-l] Stoveless? Do tell!

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Mon Sep 24 11:03:09 CDT 2012

I put in about 400 miles on the PCT this summer and went stoveless.  I used to cook both breakfast and dinner and have replaced both of these meals with satisfying meals, although they do take more preparation up front than oatmeal and MH dinners. For breakfast I mixed 1/2 cup of Nido with 2 Instant Breakfast packets into a Ziploc bag.  That was then poured into a quart Gatorade bottle half full of water, shaken a bit and drunk.  I like it and it is full of calories.
For dinner I generally made burritos.  At home I put 1/4 cup of instant rice, 1/4 cup of dried beans (pinto or black), some dried corn, cheese, onions and taco or burrito seasoning into a sandwich sized Ziploc.  In some packets I added 1/4 cup of dried chicken or some kind of jerky.  For others I carried a single serving packet of tuna or salmon.  Come dinner time I added enough water to the Ziploc to just cover the dried ingredients and let it sit for half an hour.  I could then spoon out the mix onto a pair of medium sized flour tortillas and enjoy a tasty meal.
For variety, PackitGourmet has a good bean and cheese burrito that can use cold water and is tasty.  And MH makes a chicken salad wrap that used cold water.
Ed Jarretthttp://aclayjar.blogspot.com/