[pct-l] Stoveless? Do tell!

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 11:35:54 CDT 2012

Back in the 90's I had a customer who told us about going stoveless and cookless. Her name was Katheryn and she was from Vancouver, B.C. I think that her trail name might have been "Marmot" - but I'm not sure of that. Do any of the hikers who were on the trail during the 80's and 90's remember her? She had already hiked the "Triple Crown", and when I last talked to her she was planning to hike across Canada on what she described as the "Trans-Canada Trail". She said that it's more of a route than a trail. She described herself as a "Hiking Machine" - she was slow, but steady. My wife and I, between us, described her as "Katheryn the Great".  She is the person who originally inspired me to do (in my case ride) the PCT when I retired and had time.

COOKLESS   Katheryn mentioned that she often went "cookless". She didn't want to have to carry a stove, fuel, and a cooking pot, etc. She did not want to bother with cooking of having to clean up the utensils. I recall her saying that she would rather spend the time taking pictures and just enjoying the scenery. She said that she often ate while hiking. I don't remember what she said she ate.

I would have a hard time going cookless. I would mostly miss the four cups of rich hot chocolate that I drink every day while living on the trail. It should be easier for the hikers to go cookless while they are on the trail - since they typically hitch into towns to take "0 days", and can have hot, cooked meals there. Since I couldn't hitch-hike with my horse, and went unsupported north of S. California (my wife met me four times in S.C. and I cached four times), I mostly lived on the PCT, resupplying from the caches that I would cached while driving my rig as far as four Sections ahead. Then I would hitch back to my horse, saddle up, and ride north. Primo and I reached Canada mid-September, 2009. I returned to the PCT last year and this year to complete the PCT (the Sections between Horseshoe Meadows and Sierra City). There was too much snow to safely pass through the Sierra with a horse when I was there in mid-June of 2008, I had
 preplanned to trailer Primo around to restart from Sierra City.

MendoRider-Hiker