[pct-l] Monetary contributions

Meridith Rosendahl meridith.rosendahl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 12:08:22 CDT 2012

> Message: 18
> Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 17:30:49 -0700
> From: Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes <diane at santabarbarahikes.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Monetary contributions
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> I was going to keep quiet, but I finally have to add my .02.  Diane is so
right.  In 2009, my first year hosting hikers, I found money stuck in the
funniest places for months after the season was over.  So the next year I
gave up and put a covered donations can in the kitchen.  If a hiker chooses
to donate he or she does it anonymously.  And I don't know about it until
after the hiker has departed.  I am always grateful because 100% of
donations go into buying soda and fruit for the coolers at the trail,
buying food for a (pretty good) dinner and breakfast, and there's never
anything left over for gas.  Although this year my husband asked me to put
a donation jar in the van because gas started out at near $4.50 and I drive
over 3,500 miles every year taking hikers one place or another.  I do feel
uncomfortable about the donation jar in the van and may not do it again.

As it is I spend way more - and I know other angels do too - than the
donations cover.  And that is fine.  I didn't get into this because of the
money.  I got into it because of all the magic my daughter, Diane (Piper),
received when she was hiking the trail and this is my way of paying back
this amazing hiker community.  And then I fell in love with hikers in
general.

But hikers can't depend on me in advance.  I don't really let them know
about me until they arrive at my local trailhead and find my phone number
and a note from me.  They can't plan around me.  I'm not a youngster
anymore and I found this year to be particularly tiring, maybe because of
the early arrival of a huge herd of hikers, and maybe because of some
health problems.  I'll continue to be semi-anonymous.

And if a hiker has no money, that's perfectly ok.  I do not expect
donations, but the can is there if they want to.  Some hikers have helped
my husband unload firewood, crush cans (thank you!) and have looked for
other things to do to help out.  We appreciate that more than we can say.

Piper's Mom