[pct-l] Stoveless? Do tell!

Inga Aksamit iaksamit at aol.com
Mon Sep 24 12:30:00 CDT 2012

Ed, was that enough time to really soften the ingredients or were they still crunchy? On a trip this year I added  a little cold water several hours ahead of time (at the prior meal), then at dinner time added boiling water and soaked for 30" but the dehydrated meat and some of the dehydrated  veggies were still crunchy. I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong. Above 10,000 ft I had zero appetite so it made it really hard to force the food down. Dehydrated potato buds and rice worked well, as did the dried soup mix and were relatively appetizing. We used a combination of home dehydrated food and Backpacker's Pantry or Mountain House dinners and I have to say I looked forward to the commercial mixes. I expect that will change over time as I perfect my home-prepared meals.

Message: 9