[pct-l] Stoveless? Do tell!

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 13:35:09 CDT 2012

Food?? Yes, I think I need to chime in on this one! :)

I've met stoveless, thru hiking vegans on the trail who were eating quite well. I mention the vegan part b/c that limits their diet even more...  I met one guy a few years back that told me he'd been eating all the same things the rest of the thrus were, he was just eating it cold.   Cold instant oatmeal makes me want to gag, but if it works for you, go for it!!

If you aren't picky, there is a TON of stuff that will work.  Any of the just-add-water (aka freezerbag cooking) will work with cold or room temperature water. It will just take 15-20 minutes to rehydrate instead of 5-10.

I like smoothies (my base is Carnation Instant Breakfast in various flavors) for a traveling breakfast.  Wraps of all different kinds for lunch.

CHEESE! Jerky, pepperoni, summer sausage, salami... etc.

I hope that helps some. Always happy to babble on about trail food!

~Dicentra

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra