[pct-l] Russell Creek (Mt Jefferson - Oregon) crossing

Judson Brown judsonwb at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 21:39:42 CDT 2012

Re: why doesn't this exist every year.

This was, in fact, a big snow year for the Oregon and Washington Cascades.
And the year before, of course, was of record proportions.

My guess is not all of it melted in the summer of 2011. The winter of
2011/12 started innocently enough, even pretty dry, but we had a lot of
snow in spring, followed by cool temperatures.

So you had snow that, in places, never melted in 2011, followed by a 2012
where melt-out was 3-4 weeks later than usual. Voila; snow bridge.

It is not a permanent phenomenon; my crossing there in '07 was thigh deep
water, no snow to be seen.