[pct-l] Trail clearing with horses and chainsaws

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Tue Sep 25 19:53:27 CDT 2012

I'm not clear as to why such a ban would exist in the context of people who
are actively performing trail maintenance.  It would seem to be at least an
order of magnitude easier to clear a trail with a chain saw and a horse
than by hand.  I would like to think that when I donate to organizations
that do trail work that they aren't hamstrung by federal bureaucracy that
impedes getting important work done.  Can
 anyone shed some light on
 this?

There ARE some astonishing bureaucratic processes involved in doing trailwork
on the forests, or in the parks.

There has been a massive transition from professional agency trail crews to
volunteers over the last ten years, and it has not always been an easy transition.

The issue you bring specifically up, chainsaws, is a real sore point.  The Wilderness
Act is the excuse, but it comes down to "the minimum tool needed for the job".  This
is determined by the Cabinet Secretary of the agency involved.  The Interior Dept Sec
has determined that the minimal tool is a chainsaw for clearing trails.  The Ag Dept
Sec has determined hand saws.  Exemptions can be obtained, but they are very difficult
to get.

Gas brushcutters are another issue.  There is some brush that is almost impossible to
trim by hand, while the cutters make short work of it.  Can't use them.

Personally, I prefer to use hand saws where they are practical.  Sometimes the time
is almost negligible.  but sometimes not.  A few years back, I cut a tree just north
of the Piute Bridge.  50 in thick, suspended 5 feet off the ground.  It took about 3 days
with a hand saw, would have been a few hours with a chainsaw.