[pct-l] Tent Advice / Ken M

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 20:02:25 CDT 2012

I have not used the LightHeart Solo, but have used the tent it was based on
extensively for 15 years or so, the old Wanderlust, Nomad.  I used it on my
thru hike of the PCT in 2010, the West Coast Trail, Wonderland and
countless treks into the High Sierra over that time.  It's still in great
shape and didn't leak a drop in weeks of drizzle and rain in WA on my thru
hike in 2010 or re-hike of WA in 2011.

I chose a ZPacks Double Hexamid for my CDT thru this year as it was so
 much lighter and had such great head space and floor space overall.  For
less than half the weight I lived in a palace all summer.  Real trail cush
for under a pound including groundcloth and stakes.  It's a bit trickier to
set up than the Nomad or LH solo, but I loved it and stayed dry in the face
of a few huge big wind and rain events.  I will continue hiking with it in
future, but I'd use the Nomad again in a heartbeat as it has been a great
tent for many years with the big bug net windows that cut down on
condensation tremendously.  Also what I loved about it was how the awnings
rolled up for a total view of the sky on clear nights.  Ranger and Silver
were using their two old Nomads (a year or two older than mine) on their
CDT thru this year and still liked them just fine.

Have fun!

Shroomer