[pct-l] Foreign ThruHiker PCT '13/ fishing spots along trail

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Sep 27 20:44:01 CDT 2012

On Sep 27, 2012, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> From: Stefan Rinnert <stefanrinnert at googlemail.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] Foreign ThruHiker PCT '13/ fishing spots along trail
> To: Pct-L at backcountry.net
>
> 1) are there any recommendable places a prospective pct-hiker might
> stay
> for organizational things and acclimatisation 2-3 days before
> ADZPCTKO in
> san diego (even a campsite/garden would do ;) ): i will need to buy
> and
> organize several things (bounce box, mail supply-boxes, BP-food -
> the usual
> things)...

You could stay at the Lake Morena Campground. That's where kickoff
will be. But it is out in the middle of nowhere.

> 2) has anybody carried a fishing rod throughout the whole trail?
> does it
> make sense? anybody who did it? any recommendable rod?

It does not make any sense.

You could send a fishing pole to Kennedy Meadows or Lone Pine and use
it through the High Sierra, then send it home at Tuolumne Meadows or
Lake Tahoe. I suppose you could try to fish Silverwood Lake in So
Cal, but I really doubt you'd want to do anything more than make big
miles at that point. Not many lakes in So Cal.

Lots of lakes in Oregon and quite a few in Washington, but you'll
really be focused on making miles by then.

> 3) where do you get your maps ( i mean REAL maps, no books) from?

http://www.pctmap.net/
Usually at some point people get together to arrange a bulk order of
these from a printer in Oregon. You might want to wait for that
announcement.