[pct-l] PCT 2012 photos

Shian Sung shian.sung at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 11:53:00 CDT 2012

Fred,

Now that SD/microSD cards are fairly inexpensive with very large
capacities, I find it best to just carry all the cards on me. They are each
in small SD card cases and then those are all placed in a ziplock and then
in a small stuff sack. This goes with the rest of my "can't lose this" bag
- license, credit card, cash, journal and SD cards. I am not a photographer
by any means but I work by the "quantity, not quality" method so I took
thousands of pictures and ended up with a few hundred GB of pictures. I
understand that the volume shooting RAW is higher but this method worked
for my friend Bigfoot, who carried two cameras and shot in RAW as well.

When sending SD cards home, making sure they don't get lost is the primary
consideration - the memories on them are priceless. Spend the $10-20 to
send a card home with all the max insurance, certified, etc. etc. from the
PO to make sure it gets to where it's going with the maximum tracking and
confirmations.

That's how i've done it and i've never had a problem.

In 2010 a good friend, Wide Angle, carried a netbook and would create
backups - his major focus of thru-hiking was photography so the extra
weight of the netbook, chargers, batteries, etc was worth it. I don't know
if he had the heaviest pack, but it certainly had to be one of the heaviest
out of all the people that finished that year.

-BR