[pct-l] Trail Clearing with horses and chainsaws

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Fri Sep 28 13:12:47 CDT 2012

I have often wondered about the chainsaw prohibiton myself--it seems
that the temporary discomfort of the noise would be offset by the months
of experiencing blowdown free trail. When I worked for the US Forest
Service, chainsaws were prohibited in their wilderness areas, but
allowed in the National Park Service wilderness. I had to be aware of
this to plan for firefighting in those areas. Also, the agency can make
exceptions to the motorized rule and allow helicopters to fight fire and
rescue people.

I used a chainsaw for three years in the woods and they do not drip bar
oil but make a fine. light  spray from the bar oil coming off the end of
the bar. Once again, I would be happy to hear the temporary noise of the
chainsaw, knowing that the trail would be cleared much sooner and more
efficiently. I particularly was wishing for this in 2010 when I
completed the PCT through the North Cascades and encountered the miles
of hideous blowdown of huge trees that were obviously not being removed
from the trail because they were just too many and too big to handle
with hand saws.

The motorized rule is a legacy of the Wilderness Act and the attitudes
that were more purist by agency bureaucrats in the earlier years.
Although it is nice to think that some kind of wilderness purity is
being upheld, I vote for practicality.
--Fireweed