[pct-l] Slowest PCT Thru Hike -- sorry

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 13:50:48 CDT 2012

I'm not a great athlete either and started out slow, 10 miles per day at
Campo.  I went to 15 the week after that and didn't even let myself go over
20 till the 3rd and 4th weeks.  Take CA with all the time you need and
enjoy it one step at a time.  Forget about the goal and love the hike.  By
the time I got to Oregon I was regularly over 30, day after day, and it
wasn't a real push.  I continued that pace all the way to Canada.  You
build to it if you just keep walking.  With the long summer days, even at a
moderate overall pace of 2 mph, you've done 24 miles in hiking a 12 hour
day.  By Oregon you'll be regularly hiking over 12 hours, just because it
feels good, and you'll be going faster than the 2mph.  At this point, don't
let the sound of it be a reason for not attempting it.  You'll be surprised
at what an athlete you become when hiking for 4 months over mountains.

Shroomer