[pct-l] Ultralight as a must?

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 14:58:22 CDT 2012

Stefan, Congratulations!  You are the first (but not the last) of the 2013
hikers to overly worrying about their gear choices.

This malady usually peaks in January or February of each year.

>From  what I read you will have reasonable pack weights very typical for
most PCT thru hikers.   The importance of the gear used on the PCT is way
over analyzed (especially on this list).   Go with equipment you are
comfortable with, and is comfortable.

If you can get something that works well for you AND weighs less than
great, otherwise don't worry about it so much.  Almost anybody can do the
PCT with a base pack weight of up to 20 pounds. It can be done much lighter
weights (sub 10 pounds) but not without experience AND that will come with
time - by the end of your PCT thru hike you will have seen a lot of
different strategies and gear choices, some you may adopt others you will
reject - not because they are wrong just because they are not your style or
comfort level.
This is kind of cliche but that is just because it is true : It is not the
gear that makes a successful thru hike.

If you can handle the elements - rain, sun, light snow, 20 to 100 degrees F
Temp swings  than you should be all set.

Enjoy the trip - it is an adventure of a lifetime

Day-Late (who spent way too much time worrying about gear before his first
thru hike too)