[pct-l] Problems on the PCT

jmhow01 at yahoo.com jmhow01 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 12:26:23 CDT 2012

You pose some interesting questions, Boris, and I'm a little confused about some of the responses you've received.

Seeing that you address domesticated animal use (NOT feral animals) in wilderness areas and on the trail, I don't

see the connection between the other's responses.  You should definitely gather some more information from the

appropriate
officials on these topics and share the information on this thread. I'd, at least, be interested.

In regards to your second question. I can tell you that wilderness areas (WAs) do allow some commercial activities

(livestock grazing, mineral extraction, hunting, etc), but these regulations vary between states and WAs.  Most of

the time, livestock grazing is permitted for farmers who've been grandfathered into the area, since they've used that

land before it was designated a wilderness area.  There's a documentary on Netflix called "Sweetgrass" about goat

farmers.  I'm almost certain those goats graze in Montana WAs since the farmers were grandfathered in.  One would

likely confront great obstacles, if they sought to change these regulations. It may even require an act of congress.

Also, I think your first bullet point raises an interesting question that you may not have intended to raise.  Why can

domesticated horses (domesticated is the key word here) relieve themselves on trail, while humans can't?  Diapers

actually seemed like a pretty good solution.  I  don't know much about this topic, so it would be very interesting to

learn about the regulations.  I'm sure equestrian's know a great deal about this and probably should chime in.

I, admittedly, don't consider these issues big enough problems for me to write a letter, but I am interested.