[pct-l] Problems on the PCT

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Sep 30 16:37:14 CDT 2012

The issue of horses and packers and horse caca comes up every year or
two.  I don't like the dust from horse poop or the acrid smell from
their urine.  I don't like it when packers are disrespectful and let
their animals trample fragile meadows.

However, the trail exists because organized horse-people partnered with
hiking organizations.  They do lots of maintenance.

The PCT is the product of political compromise, and wouldn't exist
without it.

If you want a pristine experience, try the Theodore Solomon Trail -
2000' lower and west of the PCT along the JMT.  The trail barely exists
any more.  I don't know how to avoid the horse poop north of White Pass
- the worst in my opinion.  I kick it off the trail if it fits my stride...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD