[pct-l] Problems on the PCT

Boris Trgovcich btrgovcich at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 16:47:49 CDT 2012

Kids,

Let me clarify my position again for those of you who cannot comprehend what I am trying to say.  This is about protecting the trail and the environment not about my likes and dislikes.  Read the signs as you enter the National Parks or designated Wilderness areas that quite clearly tell you which activities are compatible with the beneficial uses in those areas.  Cows shitting in your drinking water is not on the list of welcomed activities.  Oh yes, and they want YOU to use a WAG Bag.  This is about simply enforcing USDA's own regulations. This is about water pollution prevention.  It is about protecting the patches of rare California Pitcher Plants or natural resources that the wild animals can enjoy. Yes, there is bear shit on the trail and that is fine.  Bears belong there and so does their shit. Cows do not.

And BTW, I am 58 years old, was not born in this country and I have seen and experienced conditions and hardships that you snotty nosed kids, clutching a water filter in one hand and a $2.00 bottle of Aqua Fina (or do you prefer a $4 bottle of "pure spring water" from Fiji) in the other, will never come even close to encountering.  I have now hiked 1,7000 miles of PCT, have never filtered or chemically treated  my drinking water and have NEVER purchased bottled water tor drink (Have you, and  since you undoubtedly have, what are you afraid of?). A month ago, I  have hiked 50 miles in a day with a 35-pound pack and kept going for three more weeks averaging 25 miles per day.   I help the PCTA with trail maintenance and support it financially(what have YOU given back?).  I have traveled extensively in  undeveloped countries and lived with the locals, drank their water and ate their food. I have just made couple of  "first descent" kayak runs in Peru
 and Mexico. I have also seen what legacy apathetic attitude like yours leaves to the future generations in those countries (just visit the jungles of Borneo and note the forest devastation or hike the Camino del Inca where one cannot find a camp that is not full of human shit).

So, go on. stick your I-pods and I-phones in your ears, and pretend that everything is just fine on the PCT, bury your heads in the sand and take advantage of the beautiful legacy that the past generation of Giants, who fought so hard to develop AND PROTECT it , left for YOU to enjoy.  Are you going to leave the trail a better or worse place to experience for the future generations?