[pct-l] Problems on the PCT

Charles Williams charlesnolie at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 19:40:41 CDT 2012

HOLY CRAP!  Did somebody just suggest "Dumping Stations" on the JMT?  Easy to find, you say they'd be?  I've hiked the JMT many times since I was a boy and I don't recall the places you're thinking of that would be good places for a dumping station.  Rae Lakes? McClure Meadow?  Maybe Crabtree Meadows?  Do you really think anybody would go for this?  Hiker or horseman, who would want there to be a pile of horse shit in the wilderness?

No.  One of the ideas behind the management of stock in the forest for many years is the idea of dispersing the horse shit over as large an area as possible to allow it to be absorbed by the environment without causing mayhem to an ecosystem.  One of the points of Leave No Trace (Stock) that the BCHC teaches is to scatter the manure over a large area.  Dispersed it is "manageable", in a "dumping station" is would be a blight.  There are no tractors on the JMT to "manage" a dumping station of horse shit.

I think you need to reconsider your proposal!

You say that the real problem is the water from thunderstorms that take the droppings into sensitive water systems.  Where does the water not flow through the land of the JMT?  You know it snows there, right?  Snow melts and the water flows, not just from summer thunderstorms, but from the snow in all of the surroundings of the John Muir Trail.  There are no places that the water does not flow from the land to a tarn or lake or marsh and most of those flow into creeks, streams, and rivers.  Again, I think you need to reconsider your proposal for "dumping stations"

Respectfully,
QuincyRider