[pct-l] Bear Canisters

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Wed Apr 3 02:27:08 CDT 2013

> Does any section of the PCT require a bear canister? Or is it just a good
> idea in some sections? I'm guessing that it's not necessary in SoCal.

Yes!  See <http://postholer.com/faq.php#Canister> for bear canister 'required' areas with PCT mileages...
First 'required' area on the PCT starts at Cottonwood Pass (PCT mile 750)...
Last 'required' area on the PCT ends at Dorothy Lake Pass (PCT mile 998), northern boundary of Yosemite...
Bear canisters are not 'required' anywhere else along the PCT other than in the Sierra...

A bear canister is "not necessary" in SoCal, but be aware that there have been some 'incidents' in the past -
notably near Little Jimmy Spring & campground in Section D, PCT mile 384, and near Joshua Tree Spring in
Section G, PCT mile 664 - may have been other locations, too, but those are the ones I recall seeing multiple
reports over various years...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)