[pct-l] Foot, ankle, leg pain, shin splints, etc.

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 10:14:53 CDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Yoshihiro Murakami <completewalker at gmail.com
> wrote:

> The American people seems to dislike science, therefore I post briefly.

While this may seem true culturally, on an individual basis you may be very
wrong. I love science, and have become very interested in math, physics,
astronomy, and mechanics as of three years ago. If only I had paid
attention and worked harder in my youth!

The energy consumption of walking increase proportionally to the  body
> weight ( + pack weight ), therefore, at first, the body weight should be
> lightened.

This is very true. The weight of the individual is the most basic, but most
difficult, part of the hiking lighter equation. Pack weight is the most
expedient and flexible part to make changes to at any time.

Generally speaking, the American people has huge muscles, which was not
> needed for walking. The huge muscles contributes only to energy
> consumption.

And carrying stuff up hill! ;-)

I have posted the video of passive walking robot  last year.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m14J1_pPyEs&NR=1

I don't think I saw that when you first sent the link, I may not have been
a list member at the time, but that video is very interesting. Such a
simple device, and to keep going for more than half an hour with no
intervention! I wonder how the principle applies to hiking as trails
*never* only go down at the optimum slope for the optimum pendulum style
gait. I really can't see how a pendulum style gait can be used or work
going up hill where one must push themselves up for each step forward.

I look forward to your book!

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--