[pct-l] A question about sending resupply boxes

Justin West cjustinwest at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 17:50:39 CDT 2013

Last summer I had no resupply person. I packed up 13 boxes, brought them to
the post office, and promptly got on a bus for Tahoe.  I walked from there
to Canada and the only issue I had with resupply was the fact that i
actually beat my first box to Sierra city.  These places all know the
routine, they all have space allocated for PCT boxes and I have never heard
of a case of them sending one back because it was there too long (except
after the season is all over i guess).

More importantly is the question of whether or not you really know what you
need.  Unless you have extensive experience doing this kind of thing you
almost definitely will wish you could make some adjustments to your boxes.
 (A luxury I had the summer before from Mexico to Tahoe)  You think you
like dehydrated hummus now??
If you have someone that you can rely on and that can adjust your boxes as
you go this is far preferable although packing them all up and being done
with it is pretty nice too.    If you are even asking the question as to
whether or not these hold locations are time sensitive you probably don't
have the experience to really know what your diet is going to be.

A good tip:

send away (for free) for the 'regional rate' priority boxes.  (Go online to
USPS and request they send you a stack of these boxes) Get mostly size B
and a few size A.  These boxes are far cheaper to send, but postage MUST be
paid online. They can then be sent from any post office.  Weight limits on
them are generous (basically if it fits it ships).
these are cheaper than the regular priority boxes.

justin
www.storythewalk.wordpress.com