[pct-l] Average Pack Weight & Average Weight Loss

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Apr 4 08:26:32 CDT 2013

Good morning, Patrick,

Considering hiking weight – including body, gear, and consumables – an old
cliche applies:  “It’s a matter of mind over matter.  If you don’t mind, it
doesn’t matter.”

Anyone who is uncomfortable in the snug, ultra-lite mold can easily read
PCT-L posts by participants who actively advocate for heavy loads, and they
will tell what you want to hear.  They will also give you a positive frame
of reference so you can say, “Wow!  I’m pretty lite compared to those
characters.”

My BMI hovers around 23.7 but I don’t manage by that number: I manage my
hiking training level and the BMI just washes out from that.  I can easily
manage that number downward by discontinuing strength training – but I
won’t.

One interesting statement about your base weight is that it, “essentially
this is now fixed.”  Either you have superb foresight to get it right the
first time, or you are unwilling to consider change.  That’s more than I
can do.  In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever hiked – day, week, or
long-distance – with the exact same gear; even between consecutive sections
of a PCT hike.

“In the last few years if you haven’t discarded a major opinion or acquired
a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead.”  - Frank Gelett Burgess

In my opinion the important thing is to just get on the trail and hike
while being willing to learn and adapt.  After the first hour all the
hyperventilating about gear and weight seems to evaporate.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/