[pct-l] washing sleeping bags

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 4 16:53:08 CDT 2013

John asked if anyone has ever successfully washed a down sleeping bag--and my
reply is yes. Not sure why you had disastrous results, but I have used your
method (described following) with minor differences, and all went well. After
washing, I lay the bag out on our picnic table on a sunny day to do some initial
drying. Then I put it in a commercial dryer--with the tennis ball--until fluffy.
Has anyone else had good or bad experiences washing their bags?
Susan "backpack45" Alcorn

"I always use a silk sleeping bag liner. I use one because I am very
reluctant to ever try cleaning a down sleeping bag again.  About 10 years
ago I attempted to clean a high end bag that was 20 years old at the time.
I used the special down soap, I hand washed it in the bathtub, I dried it
on low in a commercial drier at the laundromat with tennis balls, I did
everything by the book, and essentially I ruined the bag.  It clumped so
bad that it is now unusable.  It doesn't really matter because I have since
moved on to much lighter sleeping bags, actually I use a quilt from
enLightened Equipment now, but it still irritates me that I couldn't clean
that bag properly.  Has anyone actually successfully cleaned a down
sleeping bag?  Incidentally, I am very impressed with the enlightened
Equipment RevelationX 20 degree quilt.  It is a true 20 degree quilt. I
think their 30 degree quilt would be a fine 3 season quilt for me, but I am
a warm sleeper.

Shepherd Canyon Books, Oakland, CA
www.backpack45.com and backpack45.blogspot.com
http://www.examiner.com/hiking-in-san-francisco/susan-alcorn

Publishers of Patagonia Chronicle: On Foot in Torres del Paine; Camino
Chronicle: Walking to Santiago and We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill:
Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers.