[pct-l] looking for opinions on Platypus GravityWorks Filter System Bottle Kit - 2 Liter

Daniel Zellman danielzellman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 07:18:17 CDT 2013

Gideon,

We used the 4-liter on a five-day hike out on the AT last year and loved it
-- so much that we bought a second one and are planning on using them for
our 2013 PCT thru-hike. With two of us each carrying our own system, we'll
be able to carry a total of 8 liters of water each if needed, and with a
filter life of approx 1,500 liters, two filters should more than get us the
whole way. (We're planning on putting an extra filter and a spare set of
bags in our as-needed box with our resupply person in case of accidents,
etc.)

See you on the trail....

-dz

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 22:41:30 +0300
From: Gideon Scher <gideonscher at gmail.com>

Hi to all

Anyone know of/have any comments about the Platypus GravityWorks Filter
System Bottle Kit - 2 Liter?? (for a solo hiker)

http://www.rei.com/product/849793/platypus-gravityworks-filter-system-bottle-kit-2-liter

Thanks!
Gideon

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 13:09:40 -0700
From: Dan Jacobs <youroldpaldan at gmail.com>

Looks like the same tech as the Sawyer products, but with different
reservoirs. The Sawyer filters are well regarded, but their accompanying
bags are not. I think when it comes time for me to buy a filter system, I
will start with Sawyer filter and bags, and if the bags fail me, I will
just use gatorade or other water bottles to carry water.

In the end, the cost is just about the same. If you like the Platypus bags,
their system might be just what you want, and you still have plenty of
flexibility in case the bags fail you.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
    --Buddhist proverb