[pct-l] New to PCT

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 12:08:25 CDT 2013

Hey Jason,

40 days should be plenty of time for Oregon.  It's a relatively easy
stretch of trail, nowhere near the climbs and descents of CA.  Most thru
hikers are going so fast by that time they do it in 3 to 4 weeks.  Tennis
shoes are de rigueur for most of us on the entire trail, and definitely
appropriate for the easier stretch in OR.  Fish are always kosher of
course, just catch 'em legally, and either of those stoves are fine.  I
still use a homemade alcohol stove when I cook, but last year on the CDT,
went cookless and will probably not go back to cooked foods on a long
trail.  It's just too easy to get into camp with my food ready to eat.

With your injuries, especially the sciatica issue, I'd recommend going as
light weight as you can.  Keep reading here and try some of the suggestions
you hear.  The lighter you are able to go, the better you'll like a long
hike.

Good luck with your foundation,

Shroomer