[pct-l] Yogi's handbook says not to use Fedex

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 06:50:42 CDT 2013

Jason -

Packages sent FedEx will be going to businesses and private homes, NOT
General Delivery.  I've had three bad experiences with FedEx:

(1)  My "hold for hiker" sticker caused the package to be held at the local
distribution center.  It never left Kansas City.

(2)  Twice, packages sent to trail businesses arrived fine.  But the
businesses stuck the FedEx packages with their business mail, not with
hiker mail.  Although FedEx tracking showed the package "delivered", the
on-site person could not find them.  Turns out the packages*were* there,
but they were not stored with regular hiker mail.  This happened once on
the AT and once on the PCT.

Now I'm sure many people will chime in here saying they've had great
experiences with FedEx.  I'm not saying FedEx is bad.  But the Handbook is
a collection of previous hiker experiences.  It funnels out the things that
didn't work in the past, and guides hikers toward things which did work.  I
can tell you from experience that it is not fun to be sitting at Nantahala
Outdoor Center on the AT, or at Timberline Lodge or Stehekin on the PCT ---
WITH NO FOOD.

So, the Handbook states "Do Not Use FedEx".

Yogi
www.pcthandbook.com