[pct-l] GPS

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Tue Apr 9 18:56:27 CDT 2013

I disagree with the single "not needed" answer .  It depends on the circumstances.  In 2011 I started at Sonora Pass on 1 July (nobo) and spent lots of valuable time trying to find the trail.  I had map & compass and am capable with each, but they are of limited value in woods, where no physical features are visible.  Also, I found the contour lines on Halfmil e's maps difficult to read most of the time.  I really needed a GPS in 2011.  In the Sierra in 2010 our gro up had one but didn't use i t much - not as much as we should have.

I now have a Garmin eTrex 20 with Halfmile's maps loaded.  There are cheaper ones and more expensive ones.  Check the list archives for threads on GPS apps for a smartphone.  Somebody, maybe Chuck or MendoRider, posted an endorsement on a wristwatch-type GPS that only displays location (in UTM, I guess - maybe lat/long also).  It has no map display capability.  Used with a map, you can use the UTM readings to locate your approximate position on the ground.

If you're with the herd and/or it's a low snow year and /or you never get off the trail , a GPS is less likely to be needed.  If you're by yourself on an unfamiliar section of trail, especially on snow, then a GPS is more likely to be useful.

A little more weight for a little more piece of mind.  But by all means do not take JUST the GPS without map and compass.

Good luck,

Mango