[pct-l] OpSacks

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 17:04:45 CDT 2013

Hi Jim,

My dog has an excellent sense of smell for food. When I have time,I will have to run tests with him. I can't help but doubt what that article says. But, I will test (I am a "tester" by nature) - and also, I will test the coyotes that are abundant around where I live in Agua Dulce. My tests have only been with rodents. Their sense of smell is said to be equal to that of dogs - and neither rodents nor dogs are nearly as good at finding food as are bears. On the PCT, while riding through N. Calif., Oregon, and Washington I sometimes noticed that the hikers were hanging their food bags high in trees. I just used camouflaged OPSaks and also surrounded my tent and camp location with bear charms with a diameter of about 40 to 50 feet. That worked for me. I have been using the "bear charms" (mothballs in cotton tobacco sacks) in bear country for about 25 years now. The bears dislike the smell of the mothballs - the opposite of food. Where I come from, people use
 mothballs to discourage bears from getting into their garbage cans.

MendoRider