[pct-l] GPS

Anthony Biegen ajbiegen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 21:07:46 CDT 2013

Michele wrote:

>What is the best gps to take on the PCT

Well you're going to be overwhelmed by the nay-sayers on GPS. On my first
time hiking the PCT (interrupted) some carried GPS, some did not. Those
that did often complained about those that did not glommed on to their
group once they found out they had a GPS while going through areas with
snow. They didn't mind so much that they were following them but that they
often pushed ahead of them thinking that they knew where they were going,
only to go off trail and have to be called back on. Very annoying. Kind of
like those drivers on the freeway who insist on being right on your rear
bumper, then switch lanes trying to pass you so they are "winning", only to
find themselves behind you breathing down your exhaust pipe again.

That said, I brought my GPS but rarely had to look at it. Had it turned off
most of the time. Marked where I camped for my own interest.  A few times I
did look at it where there was a confusing intersection, often at a road
crossing. I was never more than 20 feet off the trail. My SO does not carry
a GPS and although she was at times miles off the trail, prefers that to
knowing exactly where to place every step.

And since, once again, no one really answered your question, here's my
take. I have a Delorme PN-40 that I got because it is the easiest to read
in the sunshine; and you will be reading it in the sunshine so that is
important. It also allows more waypoints than other units. Unfortunately
they use their own maps which makes it difficult to use with paper maps
like HalfMile's maps. Many people like the Garmin units. I find them too
hard to read in daylight but they do use standard maps.

Full disclosure - on my last section of the PCT I sent my GPS home at the
first opportunity and used Guthook's app on my iphone along with HalfMile's
printed maps. I also had the first edition of Half Mile's app on my phone.
I was very happy with the way it worked out.
--
Best,

TrailHacker