[pct-l] Nightly food storage

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Apr 11 19:38:31 CDT 2013

I hiked the trail from Campo to Mt. Shasta in 2008, from Hikertown to
Canada (minus a few bits in the middle) in 2009 and some High Sierras
and more So Cal in 2010 and 2011, and the Winds in 2012. For my food:

1. First time through So Cal I had an ursack for "critters" (not
bears) and kept it in my tent. Overkill and it doesn't hold much.
2. First time through Sierras I had the ursack and a small bear can
part of the way. I underestimated my appetite in my planning. Kept
both outside my tent with the ursack tied around at tree but not
hung. Mid-way I got a larger bear can.
3. North of bear can required areas, plastic compactor bags kept in
my tent.
4. All other return visits to So Cal and Nor Cal: plastic compactor
bags kept in my tent.
5. All other return visits to High Sierras: a bear can big enough for
my food.
6. In the Winds I used an unrequired bear canister.

I have never had any problems just keeping my food with me in my tent.

The only marauding bears I have ever witnessed have been in Tuolumne
Meadows and in the Los Padres where food has been left completely
unattended for minutes (Tuolumne) or hours/days (Los Padres).

In Nor Cal I had rodents eat food I had stored in a car camp bear box
while my feet were resting on a shelf in the bear box while I was
reading a book. Damn rodents. Damn car camps.

In North Washington I had a rodent enter my tent. I shooed him out.
No idea if he was hungry or tired of the rain.

In the desert in So Cal I camped in a mouse's territory and he did
crawl on top of me and my food in the night but I don't think it was
because of my food. I think I was in his area sleeping on his trail.

All other hundreds of nights spent outside on the PCT and in the Los
Padres I have never had a bear encounter with my food and I have
never hung my food.

In the Winds I got to relax while others had to hang their food each
night.