[pct-l] General Delivery and Click-n-ship

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Apr 12 10:09:16 CDT 2013

Good morning, ,

In many instances Post Office people, and others in the “official” sector
such as Forest Service, National Parks, or law enforcement personnel, are
good and predictable at what they do and at what we expect.  Many others
along the PCT go far beyond that minimum to assist this roving band of
loose-fit people known as thru-hikers.  A few, rare others … not so much.

With any law, regulation, administrative guideline, or “the way we do it”
comes a certain amount of local, on-site discretion to interpret or bias
their mission one way or another.  Hikers should try to reduce the number
of possible bones-of-contention by being very clear with the mailing
addresses and instructions as described by Yogi’s book, and to avoid asking
for, expecting, or relying upon any special treatment.

When the PO has closed we shouldn’t expect someone to be an-call to open to
hand us our package.  We shouldn't expect a new employee to do exactly what
the compliant old-timer has done in the past.  We should expect to provide
appropriate identification when asked before picking up a box –
identification that clearly matches the name on the box -- otherwise some
dirt-bag could rip-off Yogi by telling the postal person that they are Jack
E. McDonnell here to pick up a box.

As with most aspects of life, courtesy and respect gather a great many
style-points, and will usually gain much more cooperation and consideration
than an obnoxious, surly, adversarial, or entitled attitude.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/