[pct-l] Nightly food storage/Canister & bear

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 12 14:04:37 CDT 2013

Hey Rod,

Yes, I agree. You sure don't want the bear canister to roll downhill into your camp site with the bear in hot pursuit. But, if it is placed downhill from your camp site and there is a cliff, a stream, or a river, you could lose all. Also, that bear can appears to have been placed rather close to the camp site. To me, another important consideration when selecting a bear canister is the SHAPE of it. The Garcia brand, that I brought, is not a perfect cylinder - its diameter gradually becomes smaller as it reaches the two ends. It will tend to roll in a circular path rather than straight down the hill.

Meridith, That is a great video. Thanks for sharing. I reminds me of one incident, in the Sierra, when my horse was trying to get into one of my Garcia canisters. I brought two, one for my food, and the other for his. His contained his processed horse feed that I fed him to supplement his graze. The COB with MOLASSES is what he was after. I wish I had taken a video of that. His effort only lasted 30 or 40 seconds, then he gave up.

MendoRider-Hiker