[pct-l] Labeling packages with fuel

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 12 22:20:19 CDT 2013

Yes there can be problems.

Fuel can only be shipped as surface mail which can take a long time to get
there. You can NOT use Priority mail. I usually plan on a month or more for
shipping fuel. I suggest mailing fuel by itself with the rest of the
resupply going by Priority mail.

There is good possibility that you will have to prove to a postal clerk that
shipping fuel is allowed. The person doing your shipping may have a hard
time with it. You may want to go to the post office with them to ship out
the first one so you both learn the routine. You really shouldn't have to
mail food to often because it is often available in trail towns.

This link has some of my suggestions posted in March. There were other
postings on the subject in March.
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2013-March/066426.html

A good summary of shipping fuel.
http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm

Snap
Ashley wrote:
Has anyone had any issues with labeling their resupply boxes with fuel
(using the ORM-D label) and their boxes not getting to where they need to
go? If I label my boxes as such and have my resupply person drop them off
at USPS, is there a likelihood that they would not send it out/or someone
along the line might hold it?  Thanks for any info...