[pct-l] For the Female hikers out there - leave the underwire at home

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 20:22:34 CDT 2013

Yes

I am also enjoying to read this topic.  I have checked PubMed about the
papers of Professor Jean-Denis Rouillon, but I found non. Therefore, there
is a possibility of  his study was not published in an academic journal.

In the PubMed, there are a few scientific studies of bras. I have only read
three abstracts.

J Sci Med Sport. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10476977#> 1999
Jun;2(2):134-44.
An analysis of movement and discomfort of the female breast during exercise
and the effects of breast support in three cases.
Mason BR<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Mason%20BR%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=10476977>
, Page KA<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Page%20KA%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=10476977>
, Fallon K<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Fallon%20K%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=10476977>
.

They compared "sports bra", "fashion bra", "crop top" and bare breasted
with  young women of varying breast size (12B, 14B & 14C) . There
conclusion is " the fitted sports bra provided superior support and pain
reduction."
---The subjects of this study was only three. Therefore, this study may
have  limited value.

Med Sci Sports Exerc. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16177619#> 2005
Sep;37(9):1633-40.
Do current sports brassiere designs impede respiratory function?
Bowles KA<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Bowles%20KA%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=16177619>
, Steele JR<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Steele%20JR%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=16177619>
, Chaunchaiyakul
R<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Chaunchaiyakul%20R%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=16177619>
.

A randomized comparative study of treadmill exercise tests under three
breast support conditions (sports brassiere, no brassiere and fashion
brassiere) , Their conclusion is  "active females should wear a sports
brassiere during physical activity to reduce breast motion and related
breast pain."
----This study may be the best of the three. Subjects was 22 active women.

Another interesting paper is

Open Orthop J. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22509231#> 2012;6:140-2.
doi: 10.2174/1874325001206010140. Epub 2012 Apr 4.
Relationship between brassiere cup size and shoulder-neck pain in women.
Oo M<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Oo%20M%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22509231>
, Myint Z<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Myint%20Z%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22509231>
, Sakakibara T<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Sakakibara%20T%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22509231>
, Kasai Y<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Kasai%20Y%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22509231>
.

Their conclusion is "There was no significant relationship between
shoulder-neck pain and breast size. In conclusion, large brassiere cup size
is an important cause of shoulder-neck pain."
---This study is not a randomized study, their subjects were 339 female
volunteers.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami  村上宣寛 )