[pct-l] Going alone

Kristin Hamann aggie03.kh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 01:39:44 CDT 2013

I've done plenty of solo backpacking as a 5'4" female.  I've also
hitch-hiked solo.  But when traveling solo I am more cautious about taking
risks.  This may mean looking at the map more frequently to ensure I do not
get lost, choosing not to hike long distances in an extremely remote area
(if you stick to the PCT during prime season this will not apply), finding
a better place to cross that stream, carrying extra food/water, and being
extra careful about who I will hitch a ride with.  If possible I like to
hitch with either a family (although if they have kids they may be
reluctant to give you a hitch) or an older couple.  Aloof foreigners are
also generally good.  Listen to your instincts; if you have a bad feeling
about a situation then use the "oh crap, I think I dropped my camera on the
trail.  But thanks anyway!" excuse and bail.  I personally wouldn't travel
without at least pepper spray for protection (I'm a Texas girl...).   And
make sure that you let someone know where you will be and when to expect
you back.  That being said, I have never had a bad experience on the trail.

Cheers!